So a while ago, I wrote about ScrubIt.com and told you how it filtered things on a DNS level before it got to your computer. While I love the service, (what’s not to like about a free service that filters the internet before it gets to the computer?) I have found an issue.

This is my first post since I got access to my primary server again. It’s a long story, but I now know a little more about doing back-ups and mirroring. Anyway, yesterday when I got the word that the server was back up, I redirected my domain back here. As you may (or may not) know, once a domain is associated with a server it takes a while (a few minutes to several hours) for that information to reach the DNS servers throughout the internet. I fixed it yesterday morning and it still wasn’t working this morning.

I decided that I’d go with the default DNS instead of ScrubIt just to see and lo and behold it works. This tells me that ScrubIt’s DNS servers don’t update as often as other services. It’s not a big deal to most people, but to me it is.

I guess I’ll finish what I need to do, redirecting “TechNoBabelShow.com” back here. Next time, I’ve got a better strategy for redundancy, too. More about that later.

Paul

Advertisements